- Link to the book: Paxton F., Restrained Radicals: Populist Right Parties in Local Government, Cambridge University Press (2023).
- You studied the rise to local power of Populist Radical Right parties in Austria, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. What do they have in common? Why do they win at the local level?
- Do you agree that not everyone who votes for extremist parties has extremist views? If so, why do non-extremist people vote for PRR parties?
- Do PRR parties remain radical once in power? What about Giorgia Meloni (with her party, Fratelli d’Italia)?
- We keep assuming that populist and radical parties are on the right. Don’t they exist on the left?
Giulia Riva asked Fred Paxton, Post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Milan.
In 5 minutes, with NaspRead interviews!
Interview and editig: Giulia Riva, journalist